THE OLD WHITE TPC COURSE
Golf Course Architect - Charles Blair Macdonald (1914)
The Old White TPC, the first 18-hole golf course at The Greenbrier, was designed by Charles Blair Macdonald and opened for play in 1914. A legend of golf history at The Greenbrier, the course was named for the well known Old White Hotel, which stood on the grounds from 1858 through 1922.
Macdonald, the father of American golf course architecture, modeled several holes from some of the most famous throughout Europe. The 8th Hole was styled after the "Redan" at North Berwick, the 13th after the "Alps" at Prestwick and the 15th after the "Eden" at St. Andrews. His associate Seth Raynor assisted in the course construction and returned in the 1920's to oversee updates to the golf course. Between 2004 and 2006 the course underwent a complete restoration to return it to it's original Macdonald/Raynor design.
In 2010 The Old White TPC became host to The Greenbrier Classic, an annual PGA TOUR FedEx Cup Event. Past Champions include Stuart Appleby (2010), Scott Stalling (2011), Ted Potter Jr. (2012), Jonas Blixt (2013), Angel Cabrera (2014) and Danny Lee (2015).
After the flood of 2016, which forced the cancellation of The Greenbrier Classic, the golf course was closed and completely restored by noted architect Keith Foster. While the routing plan and hole concepts were retained every green complex was rebuilt, new grasses introduced to the greens, fairways and bunkers faces while trees were selectively thinned to reintroduce unbelievable views and sight lines not seen for decades.
For more information about golf at The Greenbrier, please contact a member of our Golf Professional Staff
or visit our Golf Rates & Fees